- A high-quality morning skincare routine should include the following steps: cleansing, treating your skin with active components through toner and/or serum, moisturising, and sun protection.
- You don’t have to use a toner, but this product can help balance your skin’s pH levels and lend it a youthful glow.
- You should always use a separate serum or eye cream for the area underneath the eyes, while the rest of your face can be hydrated with your regular face cream. You can also use a glow oil on your entire face to lock in moisture.
- You should always put on sunscreen on top of your oil or cream to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
There’s no better feeling than waking up wrapped up in the warmth of silky sheets with the sun gently knocking at the window, still a bit sleepy, thinking about the day that’s about to start, wondering what it’s going to offer us. The morning is a truly amazing part of the day. It can define your whole day and the mood you will be in. The bright morning sunlight can inspire you, evoke new brilliant ideas, and give you the strength to fulfil your dreams. And it certainly is the best time to start taking care of your skin so it can stay soft and healthy.
Your everyday routine and habits have a great influence on the reflection you see in the mirror. Smooth and radiant skin doesn’t always come with genetics and requires a well-thought-out and high-quality skincare routine. However, building a perfect skincare routine is not as easy as it seems, and it might actually be quite tricky, especially if you don’t have any specialised knowledge in the field.
The quantity of products available on the market today is simply overwhelming. Determining which ones you need to protect yourself from UV radiation and which are used to fight off excessive pigmentation is even more confusing. In addition, different products are reserved for different skin types and address different issues. But don’t worry, we are here to rush to your rescue! We’ve created this guide to help you find out more about the morning skincare routine and the products it should include and provide a few tips regarding the best use of skincare products.
Daily skincare routine in three simple steps
To get the most out of your skincare and make your skin look like silk, you don’t need dozens of different expensive products. Just implementing these three simple steps into your daily skincare regimen is actually enough regardless of what your skin type is. So here they are:
- Cleanse — Wash your face.
- Treat — Target the problem areas of your skin.
- Moisturise — Hydrate your face to soften the skin.
Ready, steady… Cleanse!
Washing your face is the first and most fundamental step in any skincare routine. In everyday life, our skin suffers from countless encounters with dust, grime, environmental toxins, and other substances that should be properly removed before they can cause any damage to the gentle facial skin. And that’s exactly what face cleansing does: it removes all impurities that may be on your face and reduces excessive oil buildup, preventing dull skin and clogged pores.
However, you should be careful when choosing a cleanser since some of them can cause more harm than good. If the cleanser you choose is too harsh for your skin or if you cleanse too often or use too much product, then the protective layer of your skin might start to break down. If you have sensitive or dry skin, we advise against using a cleanser twice a day. Instead, wash your face only at night and simply rinse it with warm water in the morning.
You may want to know how to find a proper cleanser. Well, the perfect cleanser is the one that helps you to remove all dirt from your skin while also preserving healthy oils. In search of a good and safe cleanser, look for sulphate- and soap-free products that are pH-balanced and gentle enough to preserve the skin’s barrier without stripping away the oil your skin needs to stay hydrated. These are considered to be the best of the best.
What kind of cleanser is best for my skin type?
- Oily skin: We recommend sticking to gels or foaming cleansers. They will help remove excess dirt from pores without stripping away any beneficial oils your skin needs.
- Acne-prone skin: When it comes to this particular skin type, your best option is a mild foaming cleanser that contains anti-acne ingredients.
- Dry skin: In this case, creams and lotions are your best friends. Opt for products containing hydrating ingredients like glycerin, hyaluronic acid, and botanical oils, which get rid of dirt and impurities and keep your skin well-hydrated.
- Sensitive skin: If you have sensitive skin, opt for oil-based cleansers. While this might feel like something completely opposite to cleansing, it’s actually a great way to cleanse your skin. High-quality oil-based cleansers can be well-tolerated, lightweight, hydrating, and non-comedogenic.
- Mature skin: In this case, we recommend settling for a melting balm. When applied to the skin, this thick, butter-like cream “melts” into a liquid. It has a great soothing effect on the skin and may be used to remove heavy makeup without water. It is indeed a very practical product.
- All skin types: There is also a universal solution that is compatible with all skin types – micellar water, which is a very gentle cleanser containing microscopic particles known as micelles that attract dirt and excessive oil and remove them from the skin while also preventing your skin from drying. And in contrast to most other cleansers, you don’t need to rub the skin too hard when using micellar water or rinse the product off, just saturate a cotton disc and gently sweep it across your face.
Treat your skin
While a toner is a great addition to your beauty routine, it is an optional step, meaning you’re not required to use it. But oh boy, wait until you hear about its benefits, and you won’t be able to resist it.
First things first, let us explain what toner actually is. A toner is a water-based liquid substance intended to purify and brighten your skin, nourish it with active ingredients, get rid of remaining dirt, and facilitate the absorption of other products while helping your skin maintain the correct pH balance.
But how do you apply toner? It is solely up to you: you can put toner on your skin using a cotton pad or simply massage it into the skin with your fingertips. We would recommend the latter, as that way you’ll end up losing less product. But if you nevertheless prefer to use a cotton pad, pull it apart to get two thinner pieces.
So when should you apply toner? You should use this product after you cleanse your face. While most toners can be applied both in the morning and at night, there are some that contain harsh ingredients like exfoliating acids. These are not intended for daily use and cannot be applied in the morning. Instead, you should use them every other day and only at night.
We’ll be honest with you: we cannot imagine a decent skincare routine without at least one serum. This miracle product is your best ally in the fight against various skin concerns. Yes, you heard right: serums don’t just address one issue; they can help you both protect your skin’s protective barrier and treat various skin problems starting with dark circles and ending with wrinkles. All you have to do is choose appropriate serum formulas.
But how come serums are so potent? It’s all thanks to their very concentrated formulas, which are packed with powerful active ingredients.
When to use the serum? Apply the product a few minutes after you’ve put toner on your skin to ensure that the serum will be fully absorbed. You can use serums in the morning or at night, depending on the formula of the serum, so read the label carefully before adding a new product to your routine.
If you’re looking to get rid of wrinkles and eye bags underneath your eyes, we recommend trying Dr. Kinsella Premium Eye Serum. Formulated by a doctor and clinically tested on real patients, this serum uses potent active ingredients to deliver real results every time.
Don’t forget about moisturising
Eye cream or eye serum
Most people are sure that they don’t need cream or serum specifically for the area underneath the eyes when they already use a moisturiser for their entire face. They think that there’s no need to bother and spend money on yet another product. However, that’s not the case with products intended for under-eye contour. The issue is that the skin around the eyes is far thinner and more delicate than on the rest of your face, and it also has fewer oil glands which are necessary to keep this area moisturised. Thus, the skin underneath the eyes often becomes dry. And that’s why it is so important to have a product that is specifically formulated for the skin around the eyes in your cosmetic bag.
Products for the under-eye areas are also a must-have if you’re dealing with wrinkles, fine lines, under-eye bags, dark circles, or a general lack of firmness. If you’re looking for a potent and effective eye treatment, check out our lightweight and ultra-hydrating Premium Eye Serum, which contains powerful active ingredients like Haloxyl, caffeine, CBD, and Fucogel, which help solve all the abovementioned issues and make your skin look rejuvenated, toned and replenished.
Now it’s time to talk about moisturisers! As we age, our skin loses its capacity to hold onto moisture, and mundane activities like washing can deplete the skin’s natural hydrating compounds even more. The main goal of a moisturiser is to hydrate and soften the skin while also strengthening its barrier function, making the skin look much younger and healthier. The formula of a good moisturiser will prevent skin from losing water by ensuring that it doesn’t slip through the outer layers of the skin.
Dermatologists emphasise that moisturising is crucial for all skin types, and moisturisers should be used all year round. You can use a lighter moisturiser throughout the day, such as a lotion or gel that will get absorbed quickly and won’t pill underneath makeup if you have oily or acne-prone skin and opt for thicker cream-based formulas if you’re someone who has dry skin.
Dr. Kinsella premium face cream is an excellent option that contains powerful peptides and antioxidants to protect your skin from free radical damage and help it look gorgeous and hydrated all day long. You can also use Dr. Kinsella premium glow oil to seal in the face cream and further boost its effects. Both products were developed by a doctor and texted during clinical trials, so you can be certain of their efficacy.
Without a doubt, sunscreen is the most important part of any skincare routine. The sun is the main cause of premature skin ageing, and it can also contribute to the development of skin cancer. Using sunscreen on a regular basis can help delay the onset of fine lines and wrinkles, avoid hyperpigmentation, and prevent skin diseases like cancer. Plus, it can also improve the appearance of pores in the long run.
We encourage you to use sunscreen all year long and every day, no matter whether you stay indoors or go outdoors since UV rays can penetrate through windows as well. Rather than using both moisturiser and SPF separately, you can acquire a daily moisturiser with SPF protection which will allow you to reduce the number of steps in your beauty routine.
There are only two types of sunscreen, however, dermatologists still argue which one of them is the safest for your skin. Let’s look into them more closely.
These products contain so-called chemical filters, such as oxybenzone and octinoxate, which absorb the ultraviolet light and fight off the damage from UV rays.
- Simple to use
- Undetectable on the skin
- Can aggravate skin issues when applied to the sensitive skin
- The Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database considers some chemical filters, such as oxybenzone, “high hazard” because of the potential risks to consumer health.
These are also known as mineral sunscreens which contain mineral ingredients, such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, that deflect UV light and prevent it from entering your body.
- Usually don’t cause any irritation or health issues.
- Leave a white or greyish hue on the skin, especially in those with darker skin tones.
Some sunscreens combine both chemical and mineral components. And they are the ones we would typically recommend. They shield your skin against both UVA and UVB radiation while also leaving no apparent trace behind.
How to apply sunscreen? Well, both chemical and mineral sunscreens should be applied as the last step in your skincare routine before makeup. Put on sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside. You’ll need approximately two tablespoons of the product to cover your face and the exposed parts of your body. Within that amount, apply a nickel-size dollop to your face. That should be enough to cover it fully.
Skincare Tips from Dr. Kinsella
- Look for products that are compatible with your skin type. When shopping for cosmetics, always check whether the product is right for your skin and will help you achieve the desired effect and not harm your skin. For instance, products intended for oily skin will not be hydrating enough for people with dry skin and might even dry out the skin more.
- Patience is a virtue. Don’t expect to see results right away; even the best skincare products need time to work. If you maintain a regular, daily pattern, you will notice a change in your skin only in six to twelve weeks. However, it usually takes at least three to four months to determine whether your new routine is actually effective.
- Your skincare should depend on your skin type but also on the season. Save heavy and oily creams for cold and cosy winter evenings and reserve lighter moisture-building products for joyful and sunny spring days.
- From thinnest to thickest: all skincare products should be applied based on the consistency, from lightest to heaviest. For instance, you should use a cleanser first, then apply toner (if it is a part of your skincare in the first place), afterwards, use a serum, and finish with a moisturiser.
Final Thoughts – Morning Skincare Routine: Simple, But Well Thought Out
As you can see, your skincare routine has a great influence on how you look and the products you use have a huge impact on your health. Putting together a good skincare regimen might seem like a very difficult task at first, but it can also be very simple if you follow the rules. Try implementing the steps we’ve told you about in your everyday beauty routine, stick to it, and enjoy having blossoming, young, and smooth skin.
As we’ve mentioned above a few times, skin care products have a big impact on your health. They can cause issues or prevent them. Therefore, we recommend you to use products that have been proven to be safe and beneficial for your skin. If you want your skin to stay young and beautiful as you age, try Dr. Kinsella Eye Serum, Premium Face Cream, and Glow Oil. We can promise that you won’t regret buying these potent topical treatments and will come back to get them time after time!
A good morning skincare routine should contain these steps:
Step 1: Cleanse.
Step 2: Treat.
Step 3: Moisturise + protect with sunscreen.
Step 4: Enjoy smooth and mesmerising skin.
Washing your face with cold water as soon as you get up each morning is the simplest thing you can do to start your beauty routine. You should also use a cleanser to get rid of the dirt that might clog your pores, apply a toner and serum, moisturise your face, and put on a high-quality sunscreen.