- Men and women in their 40s need to take extra care of their skin if they want it to look healthy and young for as long as possible.
- When we age, our skin starts to lose collagen, which leads to sagging and wrinkles. A build-up of sun damage and oxidative stress also causes our skin to lose its healthy and youthful appearance. Thus, it’s crucial to have good morning and evening skincare routines.
- For the morning routine, we recommend cleansing the skin, applying a few drops of serum to it, sealing it in with a moisturiser, and applying an SPF product for sun protection.
- For an evening routine, start by removing your makeup, exfoliating dead skin cells, applying a serum, and following up with a moisturiser.
“Life begins at 40” – many people say this, and they are absolutely correct because this is the age when many people feel that they can finally enjoy their lives. However, it’s no secret that as we age, our bodies and appearance change as well, and the 40s are a good time to start paying more attention to your skincare routine.
As we age, our skin loses its previous elasticity and resilience, resulting in fine lines and wrinkles. And if you haven’t changed your skincare routine since your twenties, now is the time to do so if you want to keep your skin looking healthy and young for yet another decade. In this article, we will explain how to put together a skincare routine that will be right for you to keep your skin glowing and healthy and explain which products to buy.
What Happens to Our Skin as We Age?
After the age of 20, we begin losing 1% of our collagen per year, which means that we end up with a very low level of skin collagen in our forties. Many people also naturally lose weight as they age. Plus, people in their 40s have fewer bone-regenerating cells than younger individuals. All of this results in a reduction in the thickness of the epidermis and an increase in wrinkles. This makes the skin look older and causes it to become more vulnerable to damage.
Decreased Hormone Production
Oestrogen and progesterone are two hormones that are essential for skin health. They play a key role in the production of sebum (natural skin oil) and elastin, which keep our skin young. Hormone production decreases during menopause, resulting in wrinkles, skin dehydration, and dryness.
Sun Damage and Oxidative Stress
One of the primary causes of skin ageing is oxidative stress. It occurs when cells have an excess of free radicals, which damage proteins and DNA and cause ageing. Sun damage can also cause unwanted skin hyperpigmentation.
Is It too Late to Take Care of Your Skin at 40?
It is never too late to start looking after your skin! But it’s not a secret that the sooner you start, the better your skin will be. At the same time, good SPF and skincare products are important, but so are your diet and lifestyle choices. So, of course, it’s absolutely okay to start trying new products and ingredients at this age if you’re new to skincare because your skin is still young at 40. However, this period in your life is a crucial time to start providing your skin with additional support. Keep reading this article to learn how to do this correctly!
Which Ingredients are Beneficial for the Skin in Your Forties?
Here’s a short list of ingredients that can do wonders for your skin when you’re in your 40s:
- Vitamin C protects the skin from sun damage and environmental factors.
- Hyaluronic acid is an effective remedy for dryness because it attracts and seals water in the skin.
- Rosehip and jojoba oils are effective emollients that moisturise and smooth out the skin.
- Antioxidants reduce oxidative stress by preventing damage from free radicals. For instance, CBD, which is used in all Dr. Kinsella products, is a potent antioxidant that helps to prevent the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, thus slowing the ageing process.
- Matrixyl 3000 stimulates collagen and elastin production.
The Best Skincare Routines for 40-Year-Olds
If you’ve never tried a comprehensive step-by-step skincare routine, don’t worry! We have a good plan with product recommendations and instructions that will help you learn how to best treat your skin. Of course, you can use our suggestions to put together a tailored skin care plan just for you or follow the routines listed below without making any changes to them.
Morning Skincare Routine for Your 40s
- Cleanse. The best option is to find a gentle and soft cleanser, as harsh products you may have used in the past can dry out your skin. You can look for oil-based cleansers to help your skin look radiant and youthful.
- Use a Serum. Because serums quickly get absorbed by the skin, this is an excellent step to implement right after cleansing. You can select a targeted serum that will help you reduce blemishes, increase skin hydration, or combat the signs of ageing. By age 40, the best serums you should choose are those that contain antioxidants such as vitamin C or CBD, as they are excellent for replenishing and protecting your skin. Serums containing active hyaluronic acid that promotes skin hydration are another good option. We recommend trying Dr. Kinsella Premium Eye Serum, which contains all of the necessary active ingredients such as vitamin C, CBD, and sodium hyaluronate. This serum firms up the skin and reduces puffiness and dark circles around the eyes, leaving it looking replenished, toned, and youthful.
- Moisturise. A moisturiser will help your skin gret the most benefits out of your serum. It is critical to find a moisturiser that is appropriate for your skin type. It should also work to slow down ageing and minimise the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Dr. Kinsella Premium Face Cream is a good choice because its key active ingredients help to reduce fine lines and even out the skin tone. This is a lightweight yet intensely moisturising cream loaded with active ingredients that target various skin types, so it will definitely suit your skin.
- Protect. It is vital to protect your skin from sunlight, as it doesn’t just cause skin ageing but also poses a danger to your health. So do not forget to put an SPF product on your skin every morning and renew it every 2-3 hours.
Evening Skincare Routine for Your 40s
- Remove Makeup. This step is essential regardless of age because our skin needs to breathe in order to avoid developing blemishes at night. You can use the same cleanser you use in the morning for this step, or try some micellar water and follow it up with a cleanser if you prefer to put on a lot of makeup.
- Exfoliate. This step is not suitable for everyone’s skin, as scrubbing can cause irritation and skin redness in some people. However, choosing a gentle product for exfoliating your skin can bring lots of benefits.
- Use a Serum. As mentioned above, using a serum is an excellent way to nourish your skin. If you’re concerned about bags under your eyes, Dr. Kinsella Premium Eye Serum is the best solution. You can learn more about this product and place an order on our website.
- Moisturise. You can use the same Dr. Kinsella Premium Face Cream in the evening to double down on your efforts to fight wrinkles.
To summarise, turning 40 marks an important point in your life, but it also means that now is the time to focus on your health and specifically your skin if you want to keep your youth as long as possible. We recommend selecting products that have been proven by experts to be beneficial to your skin. Dr. Kinsella Premium Face Cream, Glow Oil, and Eye Serum are some of the best products to choose if you want to keep your skin looking beautiful as you age. Use these topical products to start your skincare journey with confidence!
At what age does your face change most?
You will notice the biggest changes in your 40s and 50s, as your skin will lose some of its collagen, and repetitive motions of your muscles will etch lines in your skin.
Which face cream is best after 40?
Once you turn 40, you should start using a moisturiser that slows down the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Of course, this product should be appropriate for your skin type. One excellent option is Dr. Kinsella Premium Eye Cream. The key active ingredients in this product help to reduce fine lines and even out the skin tone. This lightweight yet intensely moisturising cream contains ingredients that target different skin types, so it will undoubtedly suit your skin.
Is it too late to take care of my skin at 40?
No, it’s never too late to start taking care of your skin! Your 40s are the perfect time to put together an effective skincare routine filled with high-quality anti-ageing products that will help your face look as young and fresh as possible for another decade.